Moscow mules are one of the best drinks out there as they bridge the gap of not too sweet and not a basic vodka soda, plus they come in a fancy cup so it’s a win.
A standard mule is simple enough but some people think it’s a lot harder than it actually is thus never make them at home. However, here I am to build you up so you start firing them off at home impressing guests or just getting drunk by yourself rewatching GOT you loser.
I have must-do tips below to not only making Moscow mules but drinks in general. Hopefully this one article can change not only how you make drinks but also host people and make sure everyone enjoys your creation to the fullest. Furthermore, when I can make something that can be made a touch more healthy, I try to. Thus there are tips below on how to make your mule a bit healthier and less sweet so that you can run a marathon after drinking 7 of course ;).
Moscow mules are definitely a go to drink of mine and I will even make them with tequila for some added flair. Tequila overall has been a bit of a game changer as I definitely experience significantly less hangovers via drinking it over vodka. There are many theories as to why tequila gives less hangovers but I think the main reason is that you drink it slower since vodka is much more tasteless and you can drink it like water when mixed with soda or juice etc.
Moscow mules are great as they let you switch up from the standard vodka soda or juice, they’re refreshing and best of all I make them healthy-ish. With that said, here are the tips and recipe you need to put some smiles on faces.
THERE ARE THREE HUGE IMPORTANT TAKEAWAYS OR RULES YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN MAKING MOSCOW MULES!
- When making a drink for people and you want them to love the experience you need to appeal to 4 senses. You must make it taste good of course, it needs to have a pleasant aroma thus sometimes adding a herb garnish helps, it should look beautiful clearly and then they must feel a nice ambiance and setting when trying the drink. I can help you with the first 3 but the ambiance is on you… music, clean up, give them a shot so they are already getting drunk and everything is fun… up to you :).
- One AMAZING way to add to your drink ambiance and appeal to all senses is infuse your liquor. Infusing liquor is the greatest lie in drink creation as what sounds extremely impressive is really just you pouring liquor into a jar and adding 1-2 ingredients then letting it sit for 1-7 days… or even 1 hour and just lying to your guests. Infused liquor makes you look like some planned, smart super-hero that would do anything to host people. It will impress them and has you already 5 steps ahead on appealing to all of the senses.
- Ginger beer is the key… at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the ginger beer as some will just have it tasting flat and meh…I love Q Spectacular Ginger Beer and Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Brew especially because it comes in a cool bottle that adds to the cache. I really dislike the stuff the bronze can Gosling’s Ginger Beer as it literally has no taste or much if any of that nice ginger kick.
- Follow my instructions below as you want to make sure you do things in the correct order as well as not do a couple screw ups some people out there tell you to do.
Want To Make Your Moscow Mules Healthier?
- Overall one major thing I do to cut out some sweetness and sugar is use just straight lime juice vs. lime cordial or syrup but will share my recipes below.
- If I have time and am hosting people I will get fresh ginger to add in there as well to not only to add a nice kick but also for the health benefits. Fresh ginger has a plethora of added health benefits such as it boosts immunity, fights infection, soothes the stomach, counters acid reflux and is an anti inflammatory.
- Gluten free vodka is another healthy alternative.
Best Enhanced Moscow Mule Recipe
- Ginger beer.
- 2 oz vodka or try tequila!
- 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice. Fresh muddled or squeezed ideal.
- Mint garnish.
- 1/4-1/2 tsp grated ginger.
- Always add ginger beer at the end so you don’t stir it up and lose carbonation.
- Add Ice, Vodka or Tequila & lime juice in glass.
- Add ginger beer.
- Garnish with mint for that rule I told you above regarding aroma.