Moscow mules recipes are easy and one of the best drinks out there for best tasting cocktail. They bridge the gap of not too sweet and not just a basic vodka soda, plus they come in a fancy cup so it’s a win. A standard Moscow Mule is recipe is simple but some people think it’s a lot harder than it actually is thus never make them at home.
How do you make a Moscow Mule? It is very easy to make a Moscow Mule and this recipe is here to build you up so you start firing them off at home impressing guests. See here for the 7 easy & best craft cocktails to make next!
What Alcohol Do You Use For Moscow Mule recipes?
Moscow Mule recipe variations are great as you can make them to your taste with whatever alcohol you prefer. I always make Moscow Mules with Tito’s but you can make a Moscow Mule recipe with Bourbon called a Kentucky Mule rum, Moscow Mules with tequila called Guadalajara Mules, Moscow Mules with Rum called Pirate Mules or Moscow Mule recipes with gin.
I have must-do tips below to not only making Moscow mules but drinks in general. Hopefully this one article can change not only how you make drinks but also host people and make sure everyone enjoys your creation to the fullest.
Furthermore, when I can make something that can be made a touch more healthy, I try to. Thus there are tips below on how to make your mule a bit healthier and less sweet so that you can run a marathon after drinking 7 of course ;).
What Is The Best Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules?
Moscow Mule recipes need ginger beer and there are a couple ginger beers that are the best for Moscow Mules. Fever tree is arguably the best ginger beer and then Q is another perfect option. Those two are truly the best ginger beers to use for Moscow Mules as it drops off from there.
Best Alcohol For Moscow Mules
If not making my Moscow Mule recipe with Tito’s I will often make a Moscow Mule with Tequila. I will change it up sometimes and make tequila Moscow Mules, which are great too. Tequila overall has been a bit of a game changer as I definitely experience significantly less hangovers via drinking it over vodka.
There are many theories as to why tequila gives less hangovers but I think the main reason is that you drink it slower since vodka is much more tasteless and you can drink it like water when mixed with soda or juice etc. As mentioned above you can make your Moscow Mules recipes with whiskey, bourbon, rum, gin and more, as they are very versatile.
Moscow mules are great as they let you switch up from the standard vodka soda or juice, they’re refreshing and best of all I make them healthy-ish. With that said, here are the tips and recipe you need to put some smiles on faces.
Best Moscow Mule Recipe Tips
- When making a drink for people and you want them to love the experience you need to appeal to 4 senses. You must make it taste good of course, it needs to have a pleasant aroma thus sometimes adding a herb garnish helps, it should look beautiful clearly and then they must feel a nice ambiance and setting when trying the drink. I can help you with the first 3 but the ambiance is on you… music, clean up, give them a shot so they are already getting drunk and everything is fun… up to you :).
- One AMAZING way to add to your drink ambiance and appeal to all senses is infuse your liquor. Infusing liquor is the greatest lie in drink creation as what sounds extremely impressive is really just you pouring liquor into a jar and adding 1-2 ingredients then letting it sit for 1-7 days… or even 1 hour and just lying to your guests. Infused liquor makes you look like some planned, smart super-hero that would do anything to host people. It will impress them and has you already 5 steps ahead on appealing to all of the senses.
- Ginger beer is the key… at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the ginger beer as some will just have it tasting flat and meh…As mentioned Fever Tree & Q Spectacular Ginger Beer are the best. After that the Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Brew is good and it comes in a cool bottle that adds to the cache. Gosling’s Ginger Beer doesn’t have much taste and none of that ginger kick you want.
- Follow my instructions below as you want to make sure you do things in the correct order as well as not do a couple screw ups some people out there tell you to do.
How to make Moscow Mules Gluten free or Healthy Moscow Mules?
- Overall one major thing I do to cut out some sweetness and sugar is use just straight lime juice vs. lime cordial or syrup but will share my recipes below.
- If I have time and am hosting people I will get fresh ginger to add in there as well to not only to add a nice kick but also for the health benefits. Fresh ginger has a plethora of added health benefits such as it boosts immunity, fights infection, soothes the stomach, counters acid reflux and is an anti inflammatory.
- Gluten free vodka is another healthy alternative.
Best Enhanced Moscow Mule Recipe
- 2 oz vodka or try tequila
- 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice fresh is best but lime cordial works too
- Ginger beer Q or Fever Tree only, the rest aren't as good.
- Mint garnish
- 1/4-1/2 tsp grated ginger
- Tip: Always add ginger beer at the end so you don’t stir it up and lose carbonation.
- Add Ice, Vodka or Tequila, lime juice & ginger in a shaker and shake then pour over ice.
- Add ginger beer last and then garnish with mint.