Poutine is as Canadian as Wayne Gretzky and Basketball… yes James Naismith was a Canadian, look it up. The first time I saw it I thought it was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen but once I tried it… Dios mio it is delicious. It is the best comfort food, perfect for hosting people or if you just are hungover and want to be your best self.
Now if you came here for making your gravy & cheese curds from scratch this isn’t the spot. This site caters more to the rushed for time people who still want to cook at home and save some money where they can. There are lots of from scratch gravy recipes but this recipe is more a guide to make great tasting poutine as time and cost efficient as possible.
With that said, I do have the best way to cook store bought fries without a deep fryer or how to make homemade french fries here!
This recipe though is simple and to the point giving you the best ingredients and way to create your poutine! A great thing about poutine is that it is so versatile as you really can add anything you want to it. My absolute favorite variation are stupid fries, which originated at Lolo’s Chicken & Waffles in Phoenix, AZ. They might be my favorite food on earth!
Common Poutine Questions
What is the best gravy for poutine? Thick brown gravy is ideal!
What cheese is needed for poutine? White cheese curds are needed.
What is a good substitute for cheese curds in poutine? Torn chunks of full-fat mozzarella cheese is best.
What is poutine? Well, it is pretty simple… it is just french fries, cheese curds and thick brown gravy.
What are the best additions to poutine? You are luck, I have the four best ways to make poutine below.
Best Additions to Poutine
- Stupid fries ala Lolo’s Chicken & Waffles. These are made with chicken, peppers & onions.
- Holiday style poutine. Make poutine with sweet potato fries, add turkey and you can always try cranberry sauce with it as well.
- Cheeseburger & egg poutine. You guessed it, this one is the same ol’ poutine but adding in cooked ground beef. You then add a fried egg or two on top and bingo… you’re in heaven.
- Breakfast Poutine. Again a simple variation… get your favorite breakfast meat whether it is bacon, ham, sausage or chorizo etc and then add in scrambled or fried eggs.
Quick & Easy Poutine Recipe 4 Ways!
- 4-5 russet potatoes or a bag of store bought french fries.
- 1 pack brown gravy mix
- 1.5 cups white cheddar cheese curds torn mozzarella is a good substitute.
Make Them Lolo's Stupid Fries
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1/2 a red pepper
- 1/2 a green pepper
- 1/4 a white onion
Make them Holiday Style
- 1 cup turkey
- Substitute in sweet potato fries & turkey gravy
- Optional: add cranberry sauce
Cheeseburger & Egg Poutine
- 1 cup cooked ground beef
- 2 fried eggs
- 1 cup scrambled eggs or two fried eggs
- 1 cup favorite breakfast meat Ham, bacon, sausage, chorizo etc
- Cook your french fries via recipe in article to make the best french fries.
- Make gravy according to packet but only use 3/4 of the suggested water to make sure it is nice and thick.
- Put french fries in bowl, top with cheese curds and then pour gravy over top.
- If making the additional methods then of course cook all your fixins and add over top of fries before pouring the gravy.
2 thoughts on “Quick & Easy Poutine Recipe 4 Ways!”
Thanks For Sharing this amazing recipe. My family loved it. I will be sharing this recipe with my friends. Hope the will like it.
Glad you loved it!