Street tacos, one of the easiest things to make in the world and you can make them as complicated or as simple as you want them! Traditional street tacos are pretty uncomplicated as they are just tortillas with beef, onion and cilantro. Of course this is what makes them so versatile as you can add more to them if you wish!
If you like street tacos then you will love our Mexican Street Corn Recipe our 5 Minute Queso Recipe and easy Guacamole recipe!
This recipe shows great things to add to your street tacos such as guacamole, tomatoes, marinating the steak and extra spices! There are some special tricks to making the perfect street tacos as well! You definitely need to double coat your meat in your seasoning and you have to fry/grill your tortillas! Heating the tortilla in butter or oil is an absolute must and what brings grainy corn tortillas to life!
What Steak To Use For Street Tacos
Of course the tacos just get better pending the quality of steak you use. Traditionally you should use flank or skirt steak. However, I LOVE making this recipe after a grille day when I have leftover top sirloin or filet… since leftover steak doesn’t taste that great, using it in street tacos is phenomenal!
Easy Quick Street Tacos
- 2 lb skirt/flank/tri tip steak. This is great for your leftover filet or sirloin. The better quality steak you use the better it tastes
- 10 tortillas cooked on stove with butter or oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 white onion sub red or yellow
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro optional
- 3 tbsp olive oil sub vegetable or canola oil
- 3 tbsp Tajin or chilli powder Feel free to add more spices to your taste
- 1 tsp oregano to steak sub Italian seasoning or All Spice
- Cabbage, tomato, peppers, diced jalapeno
- Shredded cheese
- Salsa or hot sauce & guacamole
Marinate Meat If You Have Time (Not necessary if you don't)
- If you have time you can marinate your steak then definitely do it for 1-12 hours! Marinate with 2-4 TBSP or Worchestire sauce and a 2-4 tbsp of a seasoning mix of Tajin/chilli seasoning, garlic/onion. Then put in fridge. I do this as I make my other recipes for Mexican Night and do the tacos last!
- Cut steak into very thing 1/2-1 inch long pieces and add to the oiled heated frying pan/skillet at medium heat.
- Add garlic, spices & onions to pan. Cook meat until brown or to your liking, about 5 minutes.
- Heat tortillas on pan/skillet with butter or oil and lightly brown.
- Serve steak and onions onto tortilla, sprinkle with cilantro, squeeze of lime juice, hot sauce and any other toppings you wish.