Moscow mules are one of the best drinks out there. They are great as they live right in that realm of not too sweet and not a stale tasting vodka soda. What is great is if you use the right ingredients you get a nice little kick from them too!
I like to think I am a world expert in Moscow mules from how many I have made, ordered and I even went to a class on making them! There are a few tips to making drinks and especially Moscow mules of which I have below for you!
Three rules for moscow mules
- When making a drink for people and you want them to love the experience you need to appeal to 4 senses. You must make it taste good of course. It needs to have a pleasant aroma thus sometimes adding a herb garnish helps, it should look beautiful clearly and they must feel a nice ambiance and setting when trying the drink. I can help you with the first 3 but the ambiance is on you… music, clean up, give them a shot so they are already getting drunk and everything is fun… up to you :).
- One AMAZING way to add to your drink ambiance and appeal to all senses is to infuse your liquor. Infusing liquor is the greatest lie in drink creation as what sounds extremely impressive is really just you pouring liquor into a jar and adding 1-2 ingredients then letting it sit for 1-7 days… or even 1 hour and just lying to your guests. Infused liquor makes you look like some planned, smart super-hero that would do anything to host people. It will impress them and has you already 5 steps ahead on appealing to all of the senses.
- Ginger beer is the key… at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the ginger beer as some will just have it tasting flat and meh…I love Q Spectacular Ginger Beer, Fever Tree and Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Brew especially because it comes in a cool bottle that adds to the cache. I really dislike the stuff the bronze can Gosling’s Ginger Beer as it literally has no taste or much if any of that nice ginger kick.
- Follow my instructions below as you want to make sure you do things in the correct order. There are a couple screw ups some people out there tell you to do.
Want to make your Moscow mules healthier?
- Overall one major thing I do to cut out some sweetness and sugar is use just straight lime juice vs. lime cordial or syrup but will share my recipes below.
- Gluten free vodka is another healthy alternative such as Titos.
- If I have time and am hosting people I will get fresh ginger to add in there as well to not only to add a nice kick but also for the health benefits. Fresh ginger has a plethora of added health benefits such as it boosts immunity, fights infection, soothes the stomach, counters acid reflux and is an anti inflammatory.
Spicy Jalapeno Moscow Mule Recipe
- Ginger beer
- 2 oz jalapeño infused vodka or tequila standard tequila or vodka works
- 1/4 jalapeño seeded and gently muddled Express the juices don't shred the jalapeno
- 1 tsp lime juice or lime cordial
- Jalapeno garnish
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- Cut jalapeño and take out seeds so you don’t burn/die every time a seed or multiple go into your mouth each drink
- Cut jalapeño so it is flat, add to mixing cup and when you muddle it and just express the juices vs. try to tear it up
- Add vodka & Ice into your shaker or mixing glass and shake well. Pour into your glass.
- DO NOT add ginger beer into shaker as you don’t want to lose carbonation
- Add ginger beer to glass & stir.
- Add garnish.