Moscow mules are one of the best drinks out there with a lot of terrific variations including this one that adds a little spicy kick. Moscow mules are great as they bridge the gap of not too sweet and not a basic vodka soda, plus they come in a fancy cup so it’s a win.
I like to make this mule a Guadalajara mule where I use tequila instead of vodka but that’s up to you. I coined the term “Guadalajara mule” and and really trying to make this a thing, thus start the movement with me.
Here is a great video on how to make this Moscow Mule and general Moscow Mule tips!
I have great tips below to not only making Moscow mules but drinks in general. Hopefully this one article can change how you make drinks as well as host people and make sure everyone enjoys your creation to the fullest.
Furthermore, I try to make drinks or food more healthy or nutritious when I can. Thus there are tips below on how to make your mule a bit healthier and less sweet so that you can run a marathon after drinking 7 of course ;).
Moscow mules are definitely a go to drink of mine and as mentioned I will even make them with tequila for some added flair. Tequila overall has been a bit of a game changer as I experience significantly less hangovers via drinking it over vodka.
There are many theories as to why tequila gives less hangovers but I think the main reason is that you drink it slower since vodka is much more tasteless and you can drink it like water when mixed with soda or juice etc.
Moscow mules are great as they let you switch up from the standard vodka soda or juice, they’re refreshing and best of all I make them healthy-ish. With that said, here are the tips and recipe you need to put some smiles on faces.
Three Rules For Moscow Mules
- When making a drink for people and you want them to love the experience you need to appeal to 4 senses. You must make it taste good of course, it needs to have a pleasant aroma thus sometimes adding a herb garnish helps, it should look beautiful clearly and they must feel a nice ambiance and setting when trying the drink. I can help you with the first 3 but the ambiance is on you… music, clean up, give them a shot so they are already getting drunk and everything is fun… up to you :).
- One AMAZING way to add to your drink ambiance and appeal to all senses is to infuse your liquor. Infusing liquor is the greatest lie in drink creation as what sounds extremely impressive is really just you pouring liquor into a jar and adding 1-2 ingredients then letting it sit for 1-7 days… or even 1 hour and just lying to your guests. Infused liquor makes you look like some planned, smart super-hero that would do anything to host people. It will impress them and has you already 5 steps ahead on appealing to all of the senses.
- Ginger beer is the key… at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the ginger beer as some will just have it tasting flat and meh…I love Q Spectacular Ginger Beer and Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Brew especially because it comes in a cool bottle that adds to the cache. I really dislike the stuff the bronze can Gosling’s Ginger Beer as it literally has no taste or much if any of that nice ginger kick.
- Follow my instructions below as you want to make sure you do things in the correct order. There are a couple screw ups some people out there tell you to do.
Make Moscow Mules Healthier
- Overall one major thing I do to cut out some sweetness and sugar is use just straight lime juice vs. lime cordial or syrup but will share my recipes below.
- If I have time and am hosting people I will get fresh ginger to add in there as well to not only to add a nice kick but also for the health benefits. Fresh ginger has a plethora of added health benefits such as it boosts immunity, fights infection, soothes the stomach, counters acid reflux and is an anti inflammatory.
- Gluten free vodka is another healthy alternative.
Spicy Mango Moscow Mule Recipe
- 1/2 cup fresh mango chunks
- Ginger beer
- 2 oz jalapeño infused tequila or vodka standard tequila or vodka works
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice lime cordial is okay too
- 1/4 jalapeño seeded and muddled
- Jalapeno & mango garnish
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- Add mango chunks to shaker/mixing cup and muddle.
- Cut jalapeño and take out seeds so you don’t burn/die every time a seed or multiple go into your mouth each drink.
- Cut jalapeño so it is flat, add to mixing cup and when you muddle it just express the juices vs. try to tear it up.
- Add vodka & Ice into your mixing cup, close and shake well. Pour strained liquid into glass.
- DO NOT add ginger beer into shaker as you don’t want to lose carbonation.
- Add ginger beer to glass & stir.
- Add garnish.