I love esquites, it is one of my favorite foods on earth and second favorite Mexican food behind a quesadilla. Esquites is so tasty and extremely easy to make, it’s truly just heating up some corn and adding in a few ingredients.
If you are hosting a Mexican night or just doing it with the family, this is the perfect side dish that is very easy to do. Traditional esquites uses very few ingredients and if you are a traditionalist then you probably don’t need this recipe. However, the US has dug its claws into esquites and added some extra ingredients that make it less healthy but ohhhhh so good.
Here is the easy & quick esquites recipe video
There are some secret ingredients to add the best flavor to your recipe as well. If you are able to find epazote (Mexican herb) then you can definitely add that to the corn as you cook it to make it as authentic as possible. If you can’t find the epazote you can sub basil. Extra secret ingredients are Tajin powder and cholula or Tapatio. Tajin powder should always be in your cupboard and cholula should be in your fridge, if not you’re doing life wrong.
To make this recipe even easier and cheaper… instead of buying ears of corn and cutting the corn off, you can just use canned corn or frozen corn… simple as that.
Simple Esquites - Mexican Street Corn
- 6 ears corn Can cut corn off the cob or use 4-5 cups of canned or frozen corn
- 2-3 leaves epazote Can sub basil
- 1 lime squeezed Sometimes I will use 1.5-2 after tasting with 1.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup cotjia cheese, grated or crumbled pronounced co-tee-ha
- 3 tbsp mayo I like to do 1.5 tbsp mayo and 1.5 tbsp sour cream. Greek yogurt also works.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp tajin powder
- 2 tsp Cholula
- 1 tsp cilantro Can sub parsley
- Cut your corn off the cob if you have it on the cob.
- Add butter, epazote & garlic to frying pan and saute corn for at least 5 minutes at medium to high heat. When corn is cooked and as hot as possible, transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in rest of the ingredients and serve, simple as that!