What is the best cold weather cocktail when it starts getting chilly out there and you need to turn to a winter drink? As the chilly winds of winter begin to blow, there’s nothing quite like wrapping your hands around a warm mug of a classic hot toddy.
Not only does this timeless concoction warm you from the inside out, but it also boasts a reputation for being a comforting remedy for those pesky winter colds. But how do you make a hot toddy recipe?
So many questions and here we have the answers. Cold weather is here and we all need the best hot toddy recipe to bundle up with to help your cold or just to drink because they are the best winter holiday cocktail!
The hot toddy recipe for colds is also a must when you just want some comfort during cold and flu season. A true hot toddy normally does not have tea however this recipe includes the tea option as typically it tastes much better with tea vs. the more straight version.
A hot toddy with tea also helps with colds due to the nutritional value and other benefits from the tea you use for this amazing winter drink. If you want another great cold weather cocktail try out this amazing Spiced Hot Apple Cider Cocktail.
Listen to our travel podcast if you need some travel advice or a laugh!
There are many variations you can have with a hot toddy. You can make a hot toddy with hot apple cider, a traditional hot toddy without tea, a hot toddy with tea and of course multiple different liquors can be used depending on your favorite variation.
Do Use Rum or Whiskey For a Hot Toddy?
A traditional hot toddy is with whiskey, bourbon or rye. However, my favorite hot toddy is with spiced rum or a maple flavored whiskey.
Other versions of hot toddy’s are just as good using dark rum, brandy, bourbon or even fireball. Some people say to use vodka but that is not advised.
Is A Hot Toddy Good If You Are Sick?
Yes, a hot toddy has some good ingredients if you are sick and offer some benefits when you are sick. A hot toddy can help with a sore throat and a cough along with other cold and flu symptoms.
Lemon is great for you when you are sick, you can use lemon tea, honey is another good ingredient when you are sick and that whiskey may just soothe some of your pain… maybe why they call it grandpa’s medicine ;).
With all of that said, we are not medical experts so don’t write down a hot toddy for your cure for COVID, the flu or a cold.
What is In a hot toddy?
A traditional hot toddy is few ingredients with just hot water, whiskey, honey, lemon and then a cinnamon stick or star anise for garnish.
You can of course make this tastier by adding a tea bag and making tea vs. just hot water as your base for the hot toddy recipe.
What Is The Best Tea For A Hot Toddy?
Lemon tea and plain black tea are the best teas for a hot toddy. You can use chamomile, ginger or try any other teas but typically lemon or plain black tea make the best tea hot toddy.
Here are some other benefits of the hot toddy:
- Soothing a Sore Throat & cough: The combination of warm liquids and honey in a hot toddy can help soothe a sore throat. Honey has natural antibacterial properties and can provide relief from irritation.
- Easing Congestion: The steam from the hot toddy can help open up nasal passages and provide relief from congestion. Inhaling the warm vapors while sipping on the drink can be especially comforting.
- Promoting Sleep: The warmth of the hot toddy, coupled with the relaxing effects of bourbon or whiskey, can help promote better sleep. Adequate rest is crucial for recovery from a cold, and a hot toddy might be just the thing to help you drift off into a restful slumber.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated is essential when you’re under the weather. The hot water in a toddy, along with the additional fluids from the tea, can contribute to keeping you well-hydrated.
Next time you find yourself bundled up with a cold, consider reaching for a hot toddy.
Not only does it provide a welcome warmth on a cold day, but its soothing qualities might just be the remedy you need to kick that winter cold to the curb. Cheers to good health and the comforting embrace of a well-crafted hot toddy!
Best Hot Toddy Recipe | With Tea & For Colds
- 1/4 cup hot water or brewed tea lemon tea or black tea is best
- 1-2 oz whiskey/bourbon/rye rum or brandy
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hot apple cider in place of water/tea
- Cinnamon stick
- Sliced apple
- Star Anise
- Lemon wedge
- Put hot water or tea in your mug, add lemon juice, honey and whiskey.
- Garnish with lemon, cinnamon stick and a star anise if you have one.