Most everyone wants to know how to make healthy cocktails. We all love trying to keep drinks low calorie but we also don’t want to just drink vodka sodas all day!
Surely there has to be a balance to being able to enjoy some tasty cocktails but also sticking to a diet or at least attempting to make it a skinny cocktail.
Drinks can have over 100-200 calories per drink so if you can cut that in half, multiplied by the 5-10 drinks you may be having… well that is a huge win.
I hate having to diet and really just want all the amazing tastes! However, I have 8 tasty skinny cocktails that you wouldn’t even know were healthier than most.
Now you can be guilt free drinking cocktails all day and night. There are some easy tips to making low calorie cocktails or trying to keep them as healthy as possible as well!
Tips to Making Cocktails Healthy
Fresh is best, always use fresh squeezed juices vs. anything bottled or things like margarita mix. Whether it is fresh lime juice, fresh lemon juice, fresh grapefruit juice or anything, be sure to always stick to fresh!
Skip the simple syrup, maple syrup or any added sugars. Making the healthiest cocktails means less sugars so while it may not be as sweet as you want it, the drink will be more fresh tasting and delicious.
Use sparkling water or similar vs. soda. You want to skip using soda as much as possible. A great example here is with the Paloma, don’t use Squirt or grapefruit soda but use a good grapefruit sparkling water, still tastes amazing and significantly less calories!
Use fresh ginger for a nice little kick. This is an amazing add for moscow mules as well!
Making fresh drinks with less sugars will also help with hangovers! The less you use all these sugars etc and the more you do straight fresh or natural ingredients the better you will feel in the morning!
Protein Espresso Martini Recipe
This is the most unique and cool recipe I think I have ever thought of. 19/20 people have loved it and don’t even notice the difference from a standard espresso martini.
If anything, the protein just gives it an added great frothy texture that most everyone loves! Just be sure to shake it up well to get it smooth and silky vs. any protein lumps.
Easy Healthy Protein Espresso Martini Recipe
- 2 oz espresso sub 2 oz cold brew or starbucks espresso shots light
- 1-2 tbsp whey chocolate protein powder Use whey as some protein powders make this too chalky.
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 oz kahlua will be better tasting but less healthy
- Garnish with coffee beans, cinnamon sticks or cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake well for 5-10 seconds and serve with chosen garnish.
Skinny Spicy Jalapeno Margarita Recipe
This healthy spicy margarita recipe is basically a skinny margarita with some kick! As mentioned only fresh ingredients here! Use fresh lime juice, some muddled jalapeno and a splash of fresh OJ to be healthy or triple sec and boom, you got it made!
To keep this margarita healthy skip the triple sec and just go with tequila, jalapenos, fresh squeezed lime juice and a splash of fresh orange juice.
If you want to take it a step further, infuse your tequila with 4-5 jalapenos for 24 hours to 7+ days. This is incredible and shows to anyone you are hosting that you made the extra effort!
Best Easy Spicy Margarita Recipe
- 2 oz silver or blanco tequila Reposado works in a pinch
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1/4 a jalapeno cut into coins & muddled
- 1/2 egg's egg white adds froth
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp pickled jalapeno juice
- 1 oz orange juice
- Lime wedge and few jalapeno coins
- Tajin seasoning rim
- Take a lime wedge, cut a slit in the middle and rub it around the rim of the glass.
- Then make a little pile of tajin seasoning then run the glass edges over the pile so it coats the rim of the glass.
- Put jalapeno coins in cocktail shaker and gently muddle 1/4-1/2 a jalapeno depending how spicy you want it.
- Add in lime juice, tequila, triple sec, optional ingredients if you wish and ice into shaker then shake up.
- Add ice to your glass and pour margarita over ice.
- Garnish with lime wedge and jalapeno coins.
This Moscow mule recipe takes a standard moscow mule and takes it to a whole new level with match, fresh ginger and is basically a superfood itself!
Yes, we have created a superfood cocktail! To make a moscow mule healthy you will want to skip the sugary ginger beer and use ginger or lime soda water and then add your own fresh ginger.
You then of course will use fresh squeezed lemon juice, fresh lime juice and then if you have matcha tea feel free to add a little of that in there per the recipe below! Add in some mint garnish and you are on healthy cocktail cloud 9!
Skinny Healthy Mermaid Moscow Mule Recipe
- Sparkling lime water or ginger soda water or lime soda water. Plain soda water works as well.
- 1/2 cup Chilled matcha or green tea
- 2 oz Gluten Free vodka such as Tito’s, Ciroq or Trader Joe’s. Kettle One Botanical Vodka is great in this too.
- 1/2 tsp Fresh lime juice. Fresh muddled or squeezed ideal
- 1/2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2-2/3 tsp Fresh grated ginger
- Mint & lemon garnish
- 1/8 tsp spirulina Optional - If you want to make it extra healthy and add that mermaid color than you need this!
- Make matcha or green tea and chill.
- Add ice, tea, vodka, juice, spirulina, ginger and stir well to combine.
- Add sparkling water or soda water.
- Garnish with fresh ginger piece & mint.
Whiskey Sour Recipe
Another one of my favorite recipes of which I had way too many during quarantine! You would never know how few ingredients are needed for a whiskey sour as it is incredibly easy to make.
All you need for this one is whiskey or similar, some egg white and fresh lemon juice. You can add in simple syrup as well but that will of course make it less healthy. The option of a splash of OJ also makes this extra tasty as well.
Easy Whiskey Sour Cocktail Recipe
- 2 oz bourbon or whiskey
- 1/2 a medium egg's, egg white
- 1 oz lemon juice fresh lemonade works well too without adding syrup
- 1/2 oz maple or simple syrup leave out if want less sweet or double if want more sweet
- ice & garnish with maraschino cherry or orange
- Add all ingredients to a shaker, shake for 10 seconds vigorously.
- Serve over ice and garnish.
The paloma is one of my favorite drinks and if you love grapefruit then it will undoubtedly be your new favorite cocktail! This is again is simple to make and just one substitute turns this healthy in no time!
To make this recipe healthy just use fresh grapefruit juice, fresh lime juice, tequila and then substitute a grapefruit soda water or sparkling water like Izzys for example vs. the traditional Squirt or Jarritos overly sugary soda.
This change and you won’t even notice the difference! Honestly with the fresh ingredients it will already taste miles better than anything you will get at a bar or restaurant.
Healthy Paloma Cocktail Recipe
- 2 oz tequila ideally use reposado, blanco or silver.
- .5 oz lime juice
- .5 oz grapefruit juice
- 2-3 oz soda water or Izzy's Grapefruit Sparkling Water for a more authentic version use Jarritos or squirt.
- salt or sugar for rim
- 1 tbsp simple syrup or maple syrup
- Rim glass with salt or sugar and then fill glass with ice.
- Mix together fruit juices & tequila in a shaker, then pour into glass.
- Add in soda and serve.
Pickle Martini Recipe
Really any martini is healthy as it is just straight vodka or gin, and optional a bit of vermouth and some olive juice. However, this one adds pickle juice and if you use quality pickles like Grillos or Clausens there are of course some health benefits to that.
Not only do these taste amazing if you like pickles more than olives, but also get that extra touch of the natural electrolytes that pickle juice brings! Pickle juice has sodium, potassium and magnesium which makes it a great natural electrolyte that lots of athletes drink during and after workouts or games.
Best Pickle Martini Recipe
- 3 oz vodka can use pickle vodka
- 1/2 oz dry vermouth if you don't have this it isn't the end of the world
- 1 oz pickle juice
- Pickle slice garnish pickled okra or pickled peppers also work
Spicy Optional Additions
- 1 oz sub spicy pickle juice Grillo's spicy or McClure's spicy pickle juice
- Garnish with a spicy pickle slice or Mrs. Klein's So Hot vegetable mix
- Add all ingredients to shaker with a handful of ice.
- Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a pickle.
Hard Seltzer Froze Recipe
Now, this isn’t really a diet recipe or low in calories but it does offer tons of servings of fruit, which have their own nutrients and such to get your daily servings of fruit in a cocktail!
Better yet it takes two seconds, I sense you see a theme here of keeping everything simple! This recipe just takes white claw, frozen fruit and a blender!
Best Frozen White Claw Hard Seltzer Recipe
- 1 can White Claw or any hard seltzer
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries or frozen fruit of your choice
- 1/2 cup Ice
- Fruit garnish
- 1-2 oz Amaretto, flavored vodka or flavored rum. Non-flavored okay too
- Pour frozen mixed berries, ice and White Claw into a blender... blend... serve.
- Make the shot recipe!
Last but far from least is probably the best tasting drink I have ever made. It literally tastes like vacation! I can’t say enough how amazing this drink is!
Even just the smells alone put me over the edge. Imagine a pina colada but way less sweet, fresh ingredients and in the form of a delightful margarita!
To keep this recipe healthy you just need to make sure to use fresh lime squeezed lime juice, fresh orange juice vs. triple sec and then to use coconut milk from the carton vs. cream of coconut.
I honestly always just use milk over the cream as it makes it less sweet, less thick and still wouldn’t notice the difference!
Best Easy Coconut Margarita Recipe
- 2 oz Los Sundays Coconut Tequila Silver or blanco tequila works too
- 1.5 limes squeezed
- 3 oz cream of coconut from carton not can For healthy less sweet substitute coconut milk from carton not can (can is thick)
- 1 oz triple sec
- shredded or toasted coconut rim
- Rim glass with toasted or shredded coconut
- Put all ingredients in cocktail shaker & shake then serve over ice.
- You can also use a cup of ice and put it in a blender if you want it frozen as well.