How do you make the best Brussels sprouts? First and foremost you make the best Brussels sprouts by roasting them!
Roasted Brussels sprouts are king and you should never be boiling your Brussels sprouts. Not only that, you can always make roasted brussel sprouts with bacon!
Not only are Brussels sprouts in the oven the best tasting brussel sprouts, they also are easier to cook then constantly checking on your boiling brussel sprouts.Roasted Brussels you just set it and forget it until they are done!
Oven roasted Brussels sprouts also allow you to control the temperature best making for the best cooked Brussels sprout recipe.
I had never gotten the fascination with Brussels sprouts and that is because they had always been served boiled and never had close to the taste of the roasted version.
Brussels sprouts are the best side dish vegetable too. They have such a great taste and texture that everyone seems to love.
I did a poll on my social media and Brussels sprouts won the poll as best vegetable side dish hands down.
Brussels sprouts are also extremely affordable at less than $5 for enough to have appetizers or sides for 4+ people. They are easy to access, cheap and full of taste, what’s not to love?
You can cook Brussels sprouts on the grill as well but as with any recipe, sometimes the grill is harder to control the temperature and won’t cook as perfectly as in an oven. It is hard to mess-up Brussels sprouts in the oven as they really are still great a little overcooked or undercooked.
Should You Flip Brussels Sprouts?
No, per the recipe below you will cut the Brussels sprouts in half and keep cooked face down. This keeps the steam trapped in when face down and you get this amazing hybrid of melt in your mouth on the inside with a nice crispy texture on the outside.
This incredible texture is probably what makes Brussels sprouts everyone’s favorite vegetable. It is the perfect balance of crispy and a soft little crunch. Furthermore Brussels sprouts are pretty versatile and you can make some fun variations per below!
Brussels Sprouts With bacon?
Oh yes, Brussels sprouts just got better as they pair with bacon so very well. This Brussels sprouts recipe comes with an option to add bacon. If you aren’t trying to be healthy then adding bacon to Brussels sprouts is even more of a game changer!
What are the best additions to Brussels sprouts?
You can keep things very simple with just some olive oil, salt & pepper and balsamic vinegar to finish them off. As mentioned above, if you aren’t trying to be healthy than bacon with Brussels sprouts is incredible!
Best Brussels Sprout Variations
The best variation is by adding bacon of course, everything’s better with bacon. But if you are trying to keep these healthy or vegetarian than don’t fret as the basic Italian/Mediterranean mix is my favorite and just as simple.
Make Brussels sprouts Italian by finishing them with some balsamic vinegar, parmesan cheese and a nice squeeze of a fresh lemon.
Asian Brussels sprouts are really good as well as you can cook them coated in a some teriyaki and szechuan sauce. Asian Brussels sprouts are a great side dish to any asian meals you are making!
Thanksgiving Brussels sprouts people typically roast the Brussels sprouts with pecans and cranberries sprinkled over top. This is maybe my least favorite variation but people seem to like it!
What recipes go best with Brussels sprouts?
There are a ton of great recipes you can make to have Brussels sprouts as your side dish. Here are just a few frome this site that go exception with Brussels sprouts. Try this easy incredible salmon recipe, or cook steak like a pro with this pan-seared steak recipe.
How To Cook Brussels Sprouts?
You have to roast brussel sprouts in the oven. Just want to reiterate that we are not boiling brussel sprouts anymore and you always should be baking them in the oven.
Best Easy Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 1-2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp garlic minced mixed in with oil & Brussels sprouts before cooking
- 6-10 slices diced up bacon cooked with Brussels sprouts in oven
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese added at the end
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar added at the end
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh lemon squeezed is ideal
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce or szechuan sauce
- 4 tbsp pecans roasted along with the Brussels sprouts
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the root stem ends of the Brussels sprouts and remove any leaves that don't look fresh, often they will just fall off naturally when you cut the stem end off.Then cut the Brussels sprouts in half.
- Put the Brussels sprouts in a bowl and gently toss with olive oil, salt & pepper. Mix or toss gently so the leaves don't all come off.
- Place the Brussels sprouts inside side flat down on a sheet pan. Make sure all Brussels sprouts have their own area to be flat down. Any good leaves that fell off you can add on the sheet overtop. If adding bacon or pecans, sprinkle those overtop of the Brussels sprouts.
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Finish with your choices from above. If using bacon you don't really need to finish them with anything. If not using bacon then finishing with balsamic vinegar, parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon is great.