There are a ton of amazing fried rice recipes out there and while it is impossible to make fried rice really healthy… we did our best to cut some of the fat, literally!
If you want to make some slightly guilt free fried rice you came to the right place. Of course it is not completely skinny healthy fried rice since after all it is “fried” rice.
Not much is better than fried rice at the hibachi restaurant where they pile on the lard and soak it in soy sauce… then of course the yum yum sauce on the side!
Surely there has to be a way to enjoy fried rice without also gaining 10 lbs in the sitting and we found a few alternatives to make an easy and healthy fried rice recipe.
You won’t be losing weight with this recipe but it will still taste amazing while also saving on some calories! If you want to make an extremely healthy fried rice recipe than try our Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe here!
How do you make fried rice healthy?
There are really only a handful of unhealthy ingredients in fried rice and here is where we make a world of difference.
We sub out the butter/lard for sesame & olive oil, we use low sodium soy sauce & less of it and use whole wheat rice! It is that simple, the rest of the ingredients are all natural and healthy!
Healthy Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- 4 cups whole wheat rice cooked per directions
- 5 green onions/scallions, diced separate whites & greens
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetable medley peas, carrots & corn
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp sodium free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 lb cooked shrimp or chicken
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts or cashews
- 1/4 cup cilantro, torn
- 2 tbsp garlic chilli paste or sriracha add near end of cooking
- If adding shrimp or chicken start cooking these just before you begin starting the rest of this recipe on a separate pan or in the oven. See here for a saute chicken recipe and here for baked chicken recipe.
- Start cooking rice per package instructions while prepping rest of meal.
- Add olive oil to large frying pan, wok or skillet and heat to med-high.Put eggs in a bowl and beat the eggs then add to the pan and cook the eggs.
- Put the eggs on a plate to the side and wipe the pan clean.
- Add sesame oil, onions, vegetable medley, garlic and scallion whites to pan cooking for 4 minutes.
- Add cooked rice & then soy sauce to frying pan cooking for 5 minutes. Stir frequently and rice is ready when it is slightly crispy on the outside.
- Add eggs and shrimp or chicken just for a minute until reheated.
- Garnish with green parts of scallions, nuts & cilantro if desired.